During BreyerFest I offered ten 'Colour Me Customs' for sale through Chestnut Ridge. The idea was the buyer would pick from ten different bodies and then select the base colour, pattern and white markings for their model.
The first to sell (and very quickly) was the G3 Stock Horse. The buyer chose for the base coat to be bay, the pattern to be a blanket spotted and the white markings to be 'surprise me'. After some prepping I got to work trying to find a good reference picture for the model.
I came across a lovely bay blanket spotted with really unusual markings on his legs. I thought he would look lovely and fulfil the surprise me option for the markings really well. I also liked the blanket and spots, I always like a bit of less is more for blanket spotted models and thought this would work perfectly.
I started by using masking fluid to mark off the bulk of the blanket and some of the markings. This would save me time in having to do eight million white paint layers over a large patch of the model and also allowed me to add depth to the colour of the spots.
She was painted to a lovely bay using airbrushed acrylics, pigments and pastels. Once I was happy with her base colour I gave her a good seal and got her ready for THE PEEL.
Once all the masking fluid was carefully peeled off I then started to add detail to the markings. Going over each one adding mapping and hairing so they had a more realistic finish.
I then started work on her dark spots, finishing off the spots on the blanket and adding lots more over her body. The reference horse had those shadow style spots that are dark spots not on the blanket so I made sure to add those.
I finished off the details, sealed her, added some gloss to the hooves, eyes and nostrils, signed her under one hoof and then sent her off to her new home.
I was so happy to see that her new owner absolutely adored her, I don't offer many commissions because I worry so much that the buyer won't be happy but this was honestly so much fun to do. I'm thinking about offering this service again before Christmas with some different models (maybe 20 this time?). So if you'd like to have a go at ordering one of these keep an eye out! Hopefully they will be coming back in the autumn.
No comments:
Post a Comment