Monday 20 February 2012

Grackle Bridle & Breastplate

For Macclesfield Live Show on March 10th I intend to complete a Cross Country set up. The inspiration for the set up is this picture here:


All credit to whoever took that picture - it is not mine I stole it off Google!


To complete the set up I need to make several things:

  • Grackle bridle
  • Breastplate
  • Boots
  • Saddle
  • Rider
  • Cross Country Jump
  • Base
The first thing on the list was the bridle so I set to work and over the weekend have managed to create something vaguely resembling a bridle!

This is the first picture I took:


As you can see I've done the cheek pieces, head band and throatlash. I've also started the noseband by creating the little piece of fleece that will go under the cross piece. I'm using a cast pewter D-ring snaffle bit which I found in my box of many random things...

This is the second shot:


As you can see the noseband is complete. The two pieces cross through the cross piece but are pretty much glued down so can't move, as a result it has been fitted to the model I am using for the set up (a Show Jumping Warmblood - Breyer Ideal).

The next picture:



A little more progress has been made and all the pieces are now pretty much attached. The final stages are to finish off the noseband and to create a headband and then to complete the reins.

The finished bridle:



I finished it off with some little pieces of gold metal (just the trims from those buckle sheets you get from Rio Rondo) and have vaguely fitted the bridle. Some buckles still need doing up but that takes a lot of mental strength...

I decided that before I left for University I should also finish the breasplate....

So here is the completed breastplate:



It also has a nice piece of sheepskin and is fully adjustable with working buckles. It is loosely placed around the horses neck here and will be properly fitted when the saddle is done!

So my mission for next weekend is to do the boots, saddle and rider....

No comments:

Post a Comment