Tuesday 12 January 2016

New Website Updates

Those who follow the Chestnut Ridge Facebook page will know that we are currently working on our exciting new website!

They will also know that this has been a long process (started last Summer).

The site has been built from scratch by myself and Brendon using a very basic template. It has been time consuming and hard work but we are finally getting there.

But there is still quite a lot to do and I know people are really eager to see it, so I thought I'd share my 'todo list' with you to give you an idea of where we are at.

The aim currently is thus:

Beta site - put up on the 18th of January, members of the British Model Horse Collectors group on Facebook will be able to use it and order through it (including ordering new 2016 products).

Full website launch - 1st February 2016 (or slightly earlier). On this date we will move the domain name and permanently move to our new site :D

But there is still a LOT of work to do...so here is the list of things we still have left to do!


  1. New products - still loads of new products to add!
  2. Delivery costs - quite important that this gets set up..
  3. Problems with HTML coding, particular odd graphical things like the centre image not being centered and some text and boxes note quite looking right
  4. Featured item box - needs creating
  5. Featured items on front page - products needed on front page!
  6. Transfer customer accounts - apparently far too difficult
  7. Set up mailing list - apparently very easy but I need to actually do it
  8. Add 'subscribe to our mailing list box'
  9. Checkout pages - for some reason all in grey...
  10. Payment options - need updating so people can actually pay!
  11. Proof reading - every single page has to be proof read (urgh)
  12. Check links - when the domain name moves there will probably be quite a few dead links so this needs doing
  13. Category descriptions and images - really should do this
  14. Checking general options and settings
  15. Checking mobile site
Probably doesn't seem like much but some of this stuff is taking far longer than it really should. Because nothing is never really easy!

But in the mean time, here is the last screen shot we took:



See what I mean about odd coding being off, that View Cart button is driving me crazy!

4 comments:

  1. I love the look of the site. It looks very clean and simple. I like a site that is easy to navigate. I think that users should be able to know where to find what they are looking for immediately when they land on a website. It looks like yours does that. I like how simple the color palette is.

    Porter Sommers @ Plumb Marketing

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a follower on your facebook page, I am aware of your new website and very excited to see the finished product! I have thoroughly enjoyed browsing the new items and I have already taken a shine to your 2016 horse of the year, Harper, for my growing collection. Fantastic new site!

    Brenda @ Firs Marketing

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are not trained in coding, creating a website is so challenging. There are now at least several platforms that are much more user friendly so you at least have something to work off of. But so far what you have completed is impressive. It is definitely not an easy task but it looks like you are making progress.

    Zack @ My Net Wire

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to give some advice for anyone who is working on their website in the same manner. When you see a list of things to do like this list, your initial reaction is overwhelm. What I did was to chunk it down and just do a few each day until completed.

    Gilberto Ingram @ Enhance Traffic Marketing

    ReplyDelete