Tuesday 2 March 2021

Breyer Bootcamp 2021

 Well I've almost recovered from the loss of sleep over the weekend so I thought I would write a short report about Breyer Bootcamp :D

For those who don't know Breyer Bootcamp is the online virtual version of BreyerWest. It was $5 for a ticket and consisted of various events and a show throughout the weekend. It was open to all and several international participants took part, despite the huge time differences!

It all kicked off at 5pm my time on Friday night with the first meet the artist seminar. For each of these an artist would talk, demonstrate and answer questions for an hour and a half.

The first talk was definitely my favourite of the weekend. Maggie Bennett did an awesome demonstrate of how she virtually sculpts a model. During the hour and a half seminar she basically whipped up a whole new sculpt! Genuinely impressive and fascinating to watch her process. Also there were doggos. Doggos are always good!

Afterwards was a painting demonstration by Melanie Miller. It was lovely to watch her work and so therapeutic. I just want to watch live streams of people painting all day, it's honestly so calming to just sit and watch them paint (unless they drop the medallion, that was not therapeutic). I had it on in the background whilst I got some work done and it was nice to be able to drop in and out and also listen to people talk. I did end up buying a masking pen following the talk. These things are not good for my hoarding!

Saturday morning kicked off with my own Zoom social. We hung out all day and sat chatting whilst I worked away on a project (sorry to everyone who had to see my "why is this thing not doing what I want" face)! Having discussed topics as diverse as theology and mushroom painting I signed off the call and had a brief break before the workshops started.

The first workshop was with Maggie Bennett and was all about sculpting. We were sent a kit in the post, including a decapitated Stablemate, which we could then resculpt. Maybe it's because I'm a bit immature or maybe because I was already shattered by this point but I decided to create a teaser stallion. Having done most of the neck I also cut off the top of his head and well.....added some manhood. There's a reason I didn't show mine up on the screen! He will cause me much amusement when done though and be a great one for any live shows where there aren't any children attending. It was also fascinating to see her skeletons, although I've dissected numerous horses I've never actually played with a fully articulated skeleton. I also realised just how straight horse's necks are.


Starting work on 'Snerk'

Second up was a fantasy sculpting seminar with Shauna McDaniel. We were sent a Stablemate plus a set of wings and a horn. Most people got incorrect wings but having consulted with Laura we agreed that I had a pair! I started off by putting them on the wrong way round (woops) but once that was corrected I was rather happy with my little winged Arab. Over the course of the workshop I also added the horn, gave the model cloven hooves, resculpted the mane and gave him a beard. He now just needs prepping and painting. Best advice of the seminar? "If in doubt add glitter", which I'm pretty sure is a motto I've been living by for many years!


My little Alicorn drying under the Halogen bulb

Finally it was nearly midnight and time for the final seminar, painting a pinto model with Melanie Miller. You were supposed to practice the different patterns but I didn't really want to ruin the little Stablemate and the idea of painting an impossible pattern did not sit easy with my obsessive brain! So instead I got one of Leslie's books out and copied a reference. Earlier in the day I had airbrushed and pastelled the little Stablemate we had been sent so that he had a more realistic colour. He is now looking rather nice although will obviously need finishing. About 1am I did spill paint all over the place and had to mop it up by mixing in colour change pigment and covering a Mini Whinnie. If anyone wants a Mini Whinnie that turns pink when you breath on it I can hook you up.


Working on my little Stablemate

At 4.30am Sunday morning I finished off my weekend. I joined the social tucked up in bed, with Caesar and my cuddly cat for company. I was not in the mood for staying up so I had fallen asleep and set an alarm. I got some great photoshowing tips and need to invest in a grey blanket!


Me at the 4.30am social!

There were more talks Sunday evening but I had work that needed finishing, I know Laura watched them and took notes so I'm sure she can pass on her wisdom to me.

A massive thank you to all the team involved in the weekend. It was a real success and such a positive, collaborative atmosphere. It was also really wonderful to see so many minors and newbies getting really excited about the hobby.

Roll on the next one (aka BreyerFest :D)

No comments:

Post a Comment